We are about six weeks away from the 2023 WP Historical convention. This year’s convention is a joint convention with the Pacific Coast Region of the NMRA and the Feather River Rail Society. It will be held April 26th thru April 30th 2023 in Sacramento at the Courtyard by Marriott Cal Expo 1782 Tribute Road.
If you have not registered by now, please take the time to visit the convention website at: http://pcrnmra.org/conv2023/
The convention committee has been working very hard to get all the clinics and presentation set up and ready to go for this convention, below is a list of the clinics and presentation as of March 8th 2023.
1. Jim Collins - Any rail.
2. Jim Collins - 1 ft square challenge.
3. Chip Meriam – Authorship.
4. Chip Meriam - Forms signs & more, Signs and Such.
5. Chip Meriam - Forms signs & more, Railroad Paperwork.
6. John Stevens – Magic of Scale Model Railroading Gallery at the CSRM.
7. Dave Sampson - German designed highway trailers in Europe.
8. Seth Newman - Arduino circuits.
9. Seth Newman/Jim Providenza – LDsig/ OPsig Roundtable.
10. Michael Eldridge - Laser Cut Building and Kit Development - From Concept to Finished Model.
11. Michael Eldridge – Creating Human Figures for 3D Printing.
12. Al Turnbull – Basic Scenery Tips and Techniques.
13. Al Turnbull – Trees, Trees and Stuff.
14. Al Turnbull – DC/DCC wiring.
15. Ty Smith - CSRM overview, projects and the future.
16. Mike Roque - Signals - Identification, Aspects, Types and Meaning
17. Bill Scott - Contest Judging Demystified.
18. Thomas Blinn – JMRI Layout Wiring.
19. Thomas Blinn – Keeping Trains on the Track.
20. Jere Ingram – Introduction to Modular Signaling Standards.
21. Ed Hall – Painting brass locomotives, Specifically an SP Cab-Forward.
22. Jim Providenza – Freight Car Forwarding.
23. Paul Deis – The Sky's the Limit. A quick method for painting your backdrop.
24. Paul Deis - Building a Layout, Design to Details.
25. Mark Williams – Post-War ATSF passenger trains.
26. Dave Clemens – BN in Spokane, concepts for a new layout.
27. Dave Clemens – TT&TO Dispatching with audience interaction.
28. Dick Witzens – 45 yrs. of the Sacramento Central Modular Model Railroad Club.
29. Tom Campbell – Sacramento’s ‘R’ Street Switching District.
30. Al Turnbull, Dave Bayless, Jim Moomaw – MINI CLINICS – Soldering track and feeders, Building a Pine Tree the easy way, & Demonstrating easy switch controls.
31. Jim Zeek – Modeling a Sawmill for model railroad operations.
32. Chris Palermo – Joining and Using NMRA's New Interchange Digital Platform.
33. Chris Palermo – Developing an Operations plan for a small layout.
34. Frank Markovich – Modeling Westside and Inspiration for a RR name.
35. Pat Raymer – Presentation on the Southwest Region 2024 Convention.
36. Tony Thompson – Operating a small layout with realistic waybills.
37. Tony Thompson – Transition Era Freight Traffic on SP’s Coast Route.
38. Dennis Drury – The Southern Pacific Klamath Falls Subdivision in 1984.
39. Bob Rohwer - LED locomotive lighting.
40. Bob Rohwer - Using 3 color LED's to 3 color signaling.
41. Marvin Schurke - Structure Mockup and Construction/ Selective Compression.
42. Mike Brady - Basic Train Simulation using your computer.
43. Jim Moomaw - The Dispatcher’s Office: What’s there and what it does.
44. Steve Breezy Gust – TWC Procedures and Operations
45. Phil Gulley – Designing and Planning the UP/Summit County Layout
46. Phil Edholm – Using PowerPoint to make Modeling Images and Designs.
47. Phil Edholm – Building ‘O’ scale structures 2 ways.
48. Ed Marrin - Focus Stacking using a Smartphone to take realistic Model Photos.
49. Eugene Vicknair – Western Pacific’s Typefaces and Graphics
50. Kerry Cochran – Modeling Western Pacific MOW Equipment (Part 4)
51. Kerry Cochran – FRRS/WPRM Historical Archives Website
52. Steve Cope/Dave Epling Modeling Sacramento Northern Steel Trains
53. Greg Elems – Freight Cars on the WP
54. Mike Coen – Developing a Proto-freelance Motive Power Roster
55. Shane Starr – A Brief History of the Nevada-California-Oregon Railway
56. Chris Skow – Western Pacific Final Years (Part 1)
57. Chris Skow – Western Pacific Final Years (Part 2)
58. Chris Skow – Western Pacific Final Years (Part 3)
59. Kyle Wyatt – First Passenger Cars of the Western Pacific
60. Ken Rattenne – Jim Leaks Photos of the WP in the 1960’s
61. Dave Stanley – Black and White Memories of a Colorful Railroad
There will be modeling contests run by the PCR (please see the contest page on the convention website http://pcrnmra.org/conv2023/contests.html), Three to four vendors, our FRRS museum store, plus representatives from the NCO Railway and CSRM.
One thing that should be noted is, the convention hotel is sold out of the convention rate rooms and you will need to call the hotel directly to book rooms at the regular hotel rate.
There are also nearby hotels that are close to the convention hotel:
Hotels near the Convention
Marriott has two other facilities on the same property:
Fairfield Inn Sacramento Cal Expo (916) 920-5300
TownePlace Suites (916) 920-5400
The next closest hotels are:
Hilton DoubleTree by Hilton, 2001 Point West Way, Sacramento, CA 95815 (916) 929-8855
· Hilton Sacramento- Arden West, 2200 Harvard St, Sacramento, CA 95815 (916) 922-4700
· Extended Stay America, 2100 Harvard St, Sacramento, CA 95815 (916) 921-9942
· Holiday Inn Express, 2224 Auburn Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95821, (916) 923-1100
· Hampton Inn, 2230 Auburn Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95821 (916) 927-2222
There is also a Best Western SureStay on Canterbury Rd but it is not recommend it.
Should you have any questions, please contact Eugene Vicknair or Kerry Cochran.
You can always send a message via the convention team’s email address: email@example.com
Kerry Cochran Co-Chairperson 2023 Convention